In general, if you are unsure, go to the vet quickly. Because a dog with an insect bite often needs medication - especially if it has an allergic reaction. If you are unsure of the symptoms, take no chances. Redness and slight swelling do not have to indicate that your four-legged friend is in danger. However, if he shows symptoms of a shock, it can quickly become dangerous: shortness of breath, swollen larynx, accelerated heartbeat or even loss of consciousness.
Dog with insect bite: Beware of bites in the mouth
You should be particularly careful if your dog has an insect bite in the head or even in the mouth area. The stung area often swells - so if your leg or back is affected, it is uncomfortable for your darling, but at best it is not dangerous. However, if the bee or wasp has caught the dog in the throat or even on the tongue, the mucous membranes can swell. These can then block the airways and in the worst pallid the dog threatens to suffocate. A dog with an insect bite in the mouth often chokes and wheezes because it cannot breathe. A quick instant tip are ice cubes that help the swelling to subside. However, a visit to the veterinarian as soon as possible is essential.
English bulldog: puppy on a trip into the countryside
Wasp sting: doubly dangerous
Especially when your dog is stung in the mouth, it is sometimes difficult to tell whether the culprit was a bee or a wasp. The important difference here is that a bee can only sting once and then dies. With a wasp, on the other hand, it can be dangerous: if it got into the mouth of your four-legged friend and is still alive, it can stab there several times, which of course increases the swelling and thus the danger. The doctor can help here.